Landowners & Bats
Landowners who carry out sensitive countryside management can really improve the feeding areas and habitats for greater horseshoe bats.
Our Advisory Officers have already completed over 500 farm visits. They have also held a varied programme of farm workshops. These are designed to show how the project can provide advice and support over the next few years. Advisors can also offer advice on Stewardship schemes.
Our priority areas are Avon Valley/Harbertonford, Berry Head, Bovey Tracey, Branscombe/Southleigh, Braunton, Buckfastleigh, Chudleigh, Dartmouth, Gunnislake.
If you live in one of these areas contact us for further details and to arrange your free visit.
View and download our Management Guides here. These contain advice and information about how to manage a range of habitats to help bats.
Bat Works grant scheme
BatWorks funding has now come to an end.
Read all about a BatWorks project in the Avon Valley here.
Out on the farm
Greater horseshoes rely on cattle-grazed pastures, diverse grasslands, networks of hedgerows and broadleaved woodlands – all created and managed by farmers.
The project will be supporting farmers by offering free farm visits in key greater horseshoe areas to discuss management including:
- Countryside Stewardship agreements (Higher and Middle Tier, capital grants)
- Effective parasite management – cultural and chemical systems, faecal egg counts, natural anthelmintics
- Grazing links schemes – putting together graziers and landowners
- Use of volunteers to help with practical management tasks
- Developing links with your local community – schools and community visits
- Small capital works where other schemes aren’t available
- General support and advice
The project will also be running workshops in which will focus on different elements of management appropriate to greater horseshoes. See our Events pages to keep up to date with these.
Our farming newsletter will keep you in touch with others who are pursuing bat-friendly farming as well as give advice and guidance on specific items. We can also provide specific farming information on management for greater horseshoe bats. Contact us for more details.